Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Historical Reflections

If I could have anyone from history come to college with me, it would probably have to be Franklin D. Roosevelt. I would want him to be the dean of my school. FDR was a terrific leader that helped pull the country out of financial crisis during the Great Depression so having him as one of the top officials at the school would be a great thing, (in my opinion).

Considering the state of America's current economy, having FDR as a leading official of my college would be excellent. If there was concern over the financial status of the college, FDR could remind everyone that, "...We must lay hold of the fact that economic laws are not made by nature. They are made by human beings." The university wouldn't have to let the economy decide what their budget for the next year would be. FDR could lead the university by making budget cuts only where necessary.

During prep rallies or orientations for new students, FDR would inspire everyone to work their hardest during college. He was such an amazing public speaker, that encouraging the students would be easy. When addressing the students, I could see FDR reminding the students that, "...Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort." The students would be motivated to work together and make the best of their college experience.

Lastly, the final note as to why I would want FDR at my school is one that I think most people would agree with me on. During finals, FDR could gather the students, (or address them over the school's radio station if they have one) in order to encourage them to try their hardest and not to worry about their tests. During the chaos of the end of the year, (or semester) when everyone is worried about getting their homework done and prepping for finals, FDR could easily address the students and calmly remind them that, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself".


http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5057/

http://history.eserver.org/fdr-inaugural.txt

http://www.h-net.org/~hst203/readings/lind.html

No comments:

Post a Comment