Monday, June 14, 2010

Literary Reflections

As cliche as it sounds, I would probably bring Gatsby with me to college. I think he would be a business professor, (after all, I do want to minor in business). I would want him to be my business professor because he is self-motivated and has a good sense of money. He spends his own money in a seemingly lavish way, but he spends only what is necessary in order to achieve his goals, (in this case it would be winning over Daisy). If he wasn't trying to win over Daisy, he probably wouldn't spend much of his money at all.

Another reason why he would make a good business professor is because he knows how to make connections even though he isn't a very social person. I'm a fairly shy person by nature, so having a shy teacher that knows how to be assertive and make connections when necessary would be very helpful for me. Gatsby knows how to go to and throw a party, which is something I can't do to save my life. When you are in the business world, you have to learn how to go to professional parties in order to meet with people of power, (which is sadly a major part of the business world) and I personally can't stand going to almost any form of party, so having someone like Gatsby as an influence would probably be a good thing in that case.

Lastly, Gatsby is the type of person who doesn't let anyone, (except for maybe Daisy) get in his way. He believes in pushing forward and will achieve his goals no matter what. Pushing forward and not letting anyone stand in your way is a crucial part of business. I don't let people get in my way for the most part, but I'm not ruthless like Gatsby, (and to be perfectly honest I don't really want to be). But nonetheless his self motivation is inspiring and that is something that I admire. That is why I would want Gatsby to be my business professor.

1 comment:

  1. Madison did a very good job explaining:
    -why she would bring Gatsby as a business professor
    -and why she could learn a lot from him

    She could improve by:
    -adding an anecdotal story of some type
    -explaining more of why Gatsby is the perfect role model for her(even though you did it extremely well already)
    -add evidence

    ReplyDelete